Natural medicine offers a real alternative in managing our mental and emotional health. People frequently come and see me with the following issues, but please call with any questions about symptoms you may be experiencing.
Anxiety & Depression
Anxiety and depression are very common things for people to come and see me about, with such huge affects across a person’s daily life.
Very often and very quickly people often find themselves on medication. Antidepressants and anti-anxiety medications are a subject I’m concerned about. I have seen them prescribed for the purpose of giving up smoking, tired mums and “active kids”, but in particular I very often feel they are not necessary and that they don’t treat the underlying predisposition a person so often has. To be fair, there are a few of my clients who have said they felt better on these types of medications – but the underlying cause remains untreated. Antidepressants and anti-anxiety medications also have potential side effects, some cited include suicidal thoughts, sexual problems, mania, tiredness, diabetes, decreased alertness, tooth decay, and the list goes on.
In my experience, very often the answer to depression and anxiety lies in making lifestyle changes, correcting nutritional deficiencies and achieving a state of hormonal balance. By bandaiding the problem with drugs, these issues are allowed to continue to spiral. There are always going to be scenarios, such as loss, divorce, job or financial loss, etc, in which it is natural for people to feel depressed and upset. Recovering from these can be helped with natural medicine. In addition, and more commonly, I see people who are rundown, tired, depressed, anxious, running on empty, experiencing feelings of hopelessness and despair. On closer examination, there are usually simple things that can be applied, which instead of subduing a person and their feelings, actually raises their level of wellbeing and state of mind.
If you are considering coming off medication, please contact me and your doctor before doing so.
Here’s a couple of examples from clients of mine to demonstrate some of the changes people have experienced in their lives:
“This last week I went the entire week without my medication and in fact I have not felt this good in 12 to 15 years. I feel and act that much younger and that is all very much appreciated.”
“I already have more energy & drive, with just three days on the program, than I’ve had in months … maybe years!”
“From someone who never stayed out after 8.30-9.00pm, I have broken all records – partying until 4am. And of more importance is spending more time at night with my son.”
“This has been the best week I’ve had in three years. I haven’t had any anxiety, no speeding feeling at all. I am so positive and I’m much happier. I have more energy overall.” She later wrote back saying, “I have finished the program, I had the best month in years. Completely anxiety free, sleeping well, and very happy.”
“My son has been on your regime for 3 days – he seems far more lively and answers back a lot! He is SO high (in a happy and cheerful way) – have reduced Prozac to 0.6ml. He seems to be rather bouncy – he says he feels happier, especially at school.”
Please get in touch with me if you have any questions or need any assistance relating to this topic, or any other health concerns.
Stress, Adrenal Fatigue & Burnout
Do you feel burnt out and exhausted?
So many of us these days find ourselves under increasing stress and pressure. This can be from working long hours, excessive demands from work or other responsibilities, family strains and demands, mental trauma (eg financial or personal difficulties), post-traumatic stress, excessive stimulant/drug/alcohol use, sleep deprivation, and the list goes on.
When the adrenal and nervous systems are rundown, the impact of these stresses has a much more powerful affect. Burn out and adrenal fatigue are something I see more and more in my practice. The ramifications are broad, not only physically but mentally also, with far reaching affects in work, social and family life. And if you have adrenal fatigue, it can also be a major cause of excess fat storage and low energy levels.
Drop me an email if you need any assistance or have any questions and I’ll get right back to you.
- Morning fatigue or trouble waking up
- Decreased libido
- Muscle weakness
- Poor focus
- Bone loss
- Increased allergies
- Difficulty sleeping
- Cravings for sugar
- Hair loss
- Weight gain
- Muscle tension
- Inability to tolerate high-carb/potassium foods unless paired with fat and protein.
Fortunately, there are good natural remedies to help get through this. Everyone will have their own requirements and I will help you with what you need and for how long.
- Licorice (herb)
- Holy basil
- Fish oil (EPA/DHA)
- Vitamin B5 and B6
- Vitamin B12
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin D3
- Homeopathic remedies to help not just physically but mentally too.
FURTHER STEPS TO HEALING ADRENAL FATIGUE
Luckily, you can heal adrenal fatigue with three simple steps: dieting, taking supplements and reducing stress.
Your diet should be packed with healthy super foods
- Cruciferous vegetables (cauliflower, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, etc.)
- Good protein like;
- Fatty fish (eg wild-caught salmon)
- Chicken and turkey
- Nuts, such as walnuts and almonds
- Seeds, such as pumpkin, chia and flax
- Kelp and seaweed
- Celtic or Himalayan sea salt
- Vegetable juice with carrot, beetroot, greens.
- Herbal teas, particularly Licorice.
- Caffeine: This can interfere with your sleep cycle and make it hard for your adrenals to recover as the caffeine will only make your adrenal glands work harder.
- Sugar and sweeteners: Includes avoiding high-fructose corn syrup and artificial sweeteners as well. Avoid sugary foods, cereals, candy, sweets, etc. Be aware that sugar is an additive in many breads, condiments and dressings. Try to avoid as much extra sugar as possible. Seek the benefits of raw honey or stevia as an alternative.
- Processed and microwaved foods: First of all, the microwave has its own dangers, but additionally, most microwaveable foods have many preservatives and fillers.
- Hydrogenated oils: Vegetable oils like soybean, canola and corn oil are highly inflammatory and can lead to adrenal inflammation. Try to only use good fats such as coconut oil, olive oil, organic butter or ghee.
The last and most important key to restoring your adrenal function is to heed your mind and stress needs.
- Rest when you feel tired as much as possible.
- Sleep 8–10 hours a night.
- Avoid staying up late and stay on a regular sleep cycle — ideally, in bed before 10 p.m.
- Laugh and do something fun every day.
- Minimize work and relational stress.
- Eat on a regular food cycle, and reduce your caffeine and sugar addiction.
- Exercise (even moderate exercise and walking can help).
- Avoid negative people.
- Take time for yourself (do something relaxing).
- Seek effective help for any traumatic experiences.
I am always interested to hear how you are getting on – if you have any questions please let me know.
I look forward to hearing from you.